Spelling Bee Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AbbyNormal's Study Ways

2 posters

Go down

AbbyNormal's Study Ways Empty AbbyNormal's Study Ways

Post  AbbyNormal Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Even though I am no longer eligible for spelling bees, I love helping other spellers! If you ever need any study help, let me know!

I spent a lot of time going through the dictionary. I made it almost through the Cs before I began just studying random words in the dictionary. The way I learn words is by writing them down in a notebook along with the etymology, part of speech, and pronunciation. I also went through all of New Nat's Notes, altough I certainly didn't memorize all of it, as the word I misspelled in Round 5 was in that book. Sad

I also spent a lot of time learning word roots and etymology patterns. For etymology patterns and spelling rules, I used Hexco's book, "Why Isn't Phonetic Spelled the Way It Sounds?" My mother and grandmother were extremely helpful and made flashcards for root words, and those definitely helped me.

My dad and my sister helped me make a list that contained all of the Italian music words in the dicitonary, the Hawaiian words in the dictionary, the words ending with -lous in the dictionary, etc. We used merriam-websterunabriged.com with this. Several words in this list appeared in the Bee, such as bisbigliando, heiau, and ericeticolous.
AbbyNormal
AbbyNormal

Back to top Go down

AbbyNormal's Study Ways Empty This is a nice study way :D

Post  Ian-Admin Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:53 pm

This is a nice study way-- I'll use all of them to help guide me!

Lena from the finals is actually sending me her used NNN Very Happy
Instead of looking through the dictionary, though, you should've used the CD that came with it, went on "Advanced Search," and then put "music" in definition, and then "Italian" in etymology, and then ALL of them would've popped up, you would've saved so much time Smile
Ian-Admin
Ian-Admin
Admin

https://spellingbeeforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

AbbyNormal's Study Ways Empty Reply to Ian

Post  AbbyNormal Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Actually, I used merriam-websteruabridged.com which works faster than the CD. I've tried both ways.
AbbyNormal
AbbyNormal

Back to top Go down

AbbyNormal's Study Ways Empty Re: AbbyNormal's Study Ways

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down